Saturday, April 3, 2021

I write to expose societal ills and vices - Akinyemi Jelili Oyelere

 

I WRITE TO EXPOSE SOCIETAL ILLS AND VICES - AKINYEMI JELILI OYELERE

 


Akinyemi Jelili Oyelere is a final year (HND 2) student of the Department of Local Government and Development Studies of the Polytechnic Ibadan. Also a former Vice President of the National Association of Kajola Students (NAKS).  Currently, Oyelere is the Public Relations Officer of the Institution’s Students’ Press Council. In this interview with Wole Adedoyin, he shares with him details about his writing career.

 

 

WA: WHY ARE YOU A POET?

AJO: I am a poet because I was inspired by one of my friends, Majaro Ayodele

WA: WHAT POETS DO YOU ADMIRE?

AJO: Niyi Osundare, Wole Soyinka, Eriata Oribhabor etc

WA: WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

AJO: Nature, contemporary issues, loneliness, sadness and happiness.

WA: TELL US ABOUT A NORMAL WORKING DAY…

AJO: About my normal working day. It starts from home to school, from class to Press Council, online activities and I attend to other issues that need my attention.

WA: HOW DO YOU WRITE?

AJO: I write whenever I receive inspiration to write

WA:  WHAT’S YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS BEHIND A POEM?

AJO: There are different thoughts behind every poem. Major motive behind my poetic works is to expose societal ills, vices and for people to be aware of them in order to provide solution to them. Also, I write to make people, mad, sad and glad.

WA: DESCRIBE YOUR ROUTE TO BEING PUBLISHED

AJO: The path was rough and the journey was tough. When I was about to publish my debut poetry book titled "Awakening Dreams", I searched for good publishers but their fees were too expensive for me before I later found Parousia Magazine that later published the book. Issue of fund was also there as one of the disturbing factors.

WA:  WHAT’S YOUR ADVICE TO AN ASPIRING POET?

AJO: My advice for budding poets is that they should be persistent and consistent in writing. Rome wasn't built in a day. They should learn to earn themselves recognition and good appellation first. Their names will later sell their books in the future.

WA:  WHAT (IF ANY) SORTS OF EDITORIAL CHANGES DID THE MANUSCRIPT GO THROUGH? DID YOU WORK THROUGH THESE WITH YOUR AGENT AND/OR EDITORS WITHIN THE PUBLISHING HOUSE?

AJO: My manuscript actually got a good editor from my Publisher and was later proofread by Emmanuel Abiodun Dada.

WA: FINAL QUESTION (PROMISE!): DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR THE YET-TO-BE-PUBLISHED WRITERS READING THIS?

AJO: Yes. Those that are not financially healthy should submit their works for chapbook Series. But if they are financially buoyant, they should go to publishing firm they trust their work can be handled well.

WA: TALK TO US ABOUT YOUR WRITING ROUTINE; WHAT’S A TYPICAL WRITING DAY FOR YOU?

AJO: I don’t have a particular day for writing, my pen dances when it hears the drum of muse and inspiration

WA: WHERE DO YOU WRITE FROM?

AJO: I write from Ibadan, Oyo State, South West, Nigeria.

WA: ON THIS TOPIC, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO BUILD A PLATFORM AND GAIN READERSHIP?

AJO: I always utilize WhatsApp group to gain attention of readers. The group is an International group. I also make use of Facebook to make noise of my work etc.

WA: WEBSITE(S)?

AJO: I don't have a particular website but you can Google my name to see more of my published works.

WA:  FAVORITE MOVIE?

AJO:  Married Again, an India movie

WA: SOMETHING PERSONAL ABOUT YOU PEOPLE MAY BE SURPRISED TO KNOW?

AJO: I wrote my WAEC and NECO exams seven times. I spent two years in SS1, two years in SS2 and three years in SS3

WA: WHAT’S NEXT

AJO: The publication of my second book title "The Cave of A Thousand Demons" is the next project I am presently working on.

2 comments: